Friday, April 30, 2010

Ashes of Youth: Chapter 2.3

We smoked some more and visited old places that still had special meaning to us at the school. At the far end of the playground Liam decided that he wanted to try some of Danny’s snuff. He pinched the nasty shit and put it in his mouth. A few minutes later he was feeling mighty sick. He was basically put out for the night so he rested and nursed his sick stomach in the van’s middle seat while Danny and I partied on.

We started driving again and it got us to “Wal Town”, south of Marianna, a stop-gap town between Tallahassee and Panama City. We were starved, the munchies had set in. We stopped at Arby’s and I stumbled out of the driver’s seat. The next thing I knew this black girl came up to me from the ether and asked me: “Can I get a ride?” in the cutest southern accent I have ever heard.

“I’m not gonna lie” I mumbled “I’m drunkashell but I can giveyouaride.”

“That would be great” she said.

We got back in the van, she was riding shotgun, trying to get to some street I had never heard of where her sister lived. She didn’t know how to get there, it turned out that she was a victim of Hurricane Katrina and hadn’t lived here for a year or two. Her story made me feel like driving until dawn. She said that she has high from some weed that she smoked earlier as I was trying to find our own sack. We rode in the wrong direction for about half a mile and then we stopped at an empty gas station, we laughed and talked about living here long enough to clear my brain. Soon after we decided to strike out and try to find her mystery road.

Luckily, our giggly loss of direction translated to Liam’s ears. Somehow he knew exactly where the street was and how to get there. He sat up in a painfully sick manner and directed me to Laramie Street or something like that. We dropped her off and I watched her walk off in the night to her sister’s house, that was the last time I ever saw her. I don’t even know her name.

We went back to Arby’s and Danny and I got some curly fries and a sandwich. After we ate that we realized that we were still hungry. I went up to the counter to get another order of fries, I didn’t notice Danny walk up alongside me at first. While waiting in line some guy in a backpack asked us if we were brothers.

We laughed and I noticed how bloodshot Danny’s eyes were and so I laughed even more and then he laughed more until we were Hyenas, stoned and tired and still pretty drunk. I made up a story about how we ran a taxi service with the van and that we were under scrutiny from the Taxi Federation.

“What is that?” he asked.

“Those assholes try to get us arrested for running gypsy taxis, claiming that we clog up the road and put union taxis at risk. Really they’re afraid to take us on by themselves ‘cause we carry pipes.”

Our food came so we left him wondering what kind of pipe we meant.

No comments: